Trinity Men’s Fellowship Eccleshall - Staffordshire

 © Trinity Men's Fellowship       Webmaster David Sandham

Once left in the shed overnight for the glue to set, I had to drill holes to represent the tuning pegs.

David  S decided to make a wooden stand for his new guitar.


It was to be a little more ornate than the boring steel stands which you can buy from music shops. It was to reflect the fact that the new guitar was a Fender. Even though it was an acoustic guitar I felt that the “classic” tuning head of the electric Stratocaster was more obviously “Fender”.


So the first thing was to get a template in cardboard by copying round the shape of one of my Stratocaster heads. Then pen marks were made to indicate the position of the tuning pegs.

After searching though the wood in the garage I came up with a five foot length of  3½” x ¾” timber which was just about right for the job.  The next step was to cut the length into suitable sized bits on the cross cut mitre saw.

Then I used the band saw to cut the two shapes which would make up each side.

To make the joint you have to cut a slot into each of the pieces of wood and to do this I used a biscuit joiner tool. It contains a thin rotating blade which is pushed into the wood to cut the slot

Once the slots have been cut, glue is put into the slot and along the contact surfaces, the biscuit is put in and both components are put together and clamped up overnight to set.

Look at the ruler  on the left of the photo below. How many of you remember the Texas Homecare DIY stores. This was a “give away” at the opening day of the store in Trent Vale. They have long  gone into the ethers of DIY stores, but I still have the yard stick!

Below you can see the two shapes I cut. Both shapes have to be joined together to make one side. For this I was going to use glue and biscuits. Not hobnobs, but special little rugby ball shaped, highly dried and compressed pieces of wood

I raided Mrs S’s material box and found some felt which I cut into strips and glued onto the front and base to protect any instrument using the stand. The logos were stuck on and then it was all finished

For Christmas 2019, Chris bought me a voucher for a two-day intermediate woodworking course. Something I fancied doing to try to convert my wood butchering into something more skillful.

With space for 6 trainees, the workshop was very safe as, currently, only two students are taken for each course; the other student was a lady from London who had come on the course prior to tackling more intricate furniture making for her narrowboat home. The teaching was brilliant and practical from Steve, a retired cabinet maker and, though I say it myself, the results weren't bad. The size of the box is approx 10” x 4” x 3”

The idea is for the course to hone sawing, chiseling and planing skills by making an oak box. The voucher was a brilliant present and then along came Covid-19. By August, though, Dovetail Woodworking was back up and running in it's listed workshop building at Norbury Junction and using timber from Shelmore Timber on the neighbouring Norbury Estate

Christmas is coming, if it looks interesting, leave this web address lying around for someone who likes you to see. It worked for me 😃 https://www.dovetailwoodworking.co.uk/about

Lester has sent us details of an interesting woodworking course which he attended

It fits all my instruments, the narrower ones fit into the cutout as with the mandolin and the Stratocaster above.

Next morning it was all solid and I was able to treat the wood with a wax compound. This gave the stand a delightful finish.

The middle section was then cut at the appropriate angles. It was impossible to just put on a clamp to glue it so the middle section was put onto a block to get it to the right height. I made two angled blocks to enable the pressure on the sides from the clamps to be at right angles. I managed to get two clamps onto it! Again left overnight.

The acoustic guitars take up all the space on the base as shown to the right . It was a most enjoyable project. I am so pleased with the result.                            David

I went onto the Internet and found some suitable logos. These I printed out onto an acetate film which I must have had “in stock” for well over thirty years.

Many more projects are accessed by clicking here


Please send in some of the projects you have undertaken during Lock-Down

Click here to go to the next page of lockdown projects